Monday, July 2, 2012

fair skin is beautiful skin

I've always been a fair skinned child but when I was growing up I spent all of my time outside. I always had a healthy "glow". As I got older and spent more time inside because of the countless hours at the piano my skin became its natural pastey color. I hated it but I hated being burned more as my skin became more sensitive to the sun because of medications and lack of exposure. One year I got a second degree burn on my face and vowed never again was I going to get burned. Especially since getting a  second degree burn increases your chances of skin cancer by 80% and my chances were already pretty high being fair skinned and blue eyed.
Since then I haven't gotten burnt until this past weekend. I've been worrying about looking washed out in my bridesmaid dress for Hailey's wedding and comparing myself to all of these tan people in Idaho. So at the sandbar I only put sunscreen on my arms and chest because I was already pretty tan there and not thinking i'm in a place with no trees therefore no shade and protection if the sun got to be too much. After five hours out there I got home and felt the burns starting to sting. I couldn't wear pants the rest of the day and my bra straps hurt my shoulders like a mother. I cried last night as I got into the shower because the water pouring on my skin stung even worse.
So now, i'm vowing again to never get burned and each time I try and go "tan" to remind myself that fair skin is beautiful skin. Skin without imperfections and spots. Skin that won't turn leathery and wrinkly as I grow older. Healthy, beautiful skin. That's what I want.

Here's to SPF 143284798327589 for the rest of my life!
~Nancy

2 comments:

Haley K said...

nancy I think we're the same, our olive skin tans (and sometimes burns, ow!) but without sun is pretty fair...and i'm with you!! definitely trying to embrace it. yay for SPF 1 million! ;)

Unknown said...

Remember, genetics play a big part in the likelihood of getting skin cancer. That means your chances went way up! Yay for SPF bazillion.