Tuesday, April 1, 2014

I Love Me






Details: 
Hat-Icing
Shirt-F21
Leggings-F21
Socks-F21
Shoes-thrifted
Necklace-Church

I have this idea. It came about because of two things. I have recently started working on my Personal Progress again. I earned it when I was in the youth program in church, but I wanted to start it again so that I can be working towards a goal. One of the values that we focus on in the program is "Divine Nature". Basically, the person that you are, your talents and strengths, are important, and you are that person for a reason.

The second piece to this happened when I was looking at an ad on facebook. The ad featured a model, who true to supermodel fashion was very slim. Not unhealthily so, and in no way did she look anorexic. She looked healthy, and strong, and like she works hard for her body. However, every other comment on the photo was bashing her, and tearing her down for being "skinny", "ugly", "in need of a cheeseburger". Etc, etc, etc. It disgusted me. In a world where we are so conscious not to say unkind words about someone who is overweight, or something along those lines, it is apparently okay to say horribly demeaning things to someone who is smaller. Skinny shaming is just as harmful as fat shaming. Why is this such a problem? I won't go into too much detail in this post, but I see it as a combination of issues. While one part of the problem is the portrayal in the media of women, I actually think the worse culprit lies in the other side of things. Our peers, our family, ourselves. Who is a harsher judge on our bodies than we are? I rarely think mean things about other women and their bodies. My own though? I could look at any of these pictures and destroy the self-confidence of the girl in them. 

And the thing is, I don't remember seeing actresses on TV and thinking I was ugly because I didn't look like them. In fact, the first time I distinctly recall feeling ugly wasn't until one Thanksgiving when my cousin and I were hanging out in the bathroom. We were examining our bodies in the mirror. I didn't see myself as ugly. However, I had heard many a girl, mostly my friends and family, disparaging their bodies while I listened, wondering if that was how I should feel about myself. On this particular day, my cousin pointed out how large her thighs were (they weren't). Immediately, I looked at my own body, ready to contribute. And suddenly, I saw. My body and all its' adolescent flaws was staring right back at me.

And thus is starts. We compare our outer beauty to that of others. And that's simply wrong. Our bodies are simply physical things that house our spirits. Our spirits are the truly important puzzle pieces here. Our outward appearance is not a reflection of who we are as a person. I'm not saying to not put your best food forward, but I am saying that for a moment, perhaps we could step back and force ourselves to stop criticizing the girl (or guy) we see in the mirror. Maybe we would all be better off that way.

So here's my challenge

Take a piece of paper. Write down a handful of things that you love about yourself. Don't ask for help on this. Don't ask anyone what they like about you. Come up with these attributes and traits all on your own. Write them down, take a picture, and either:

Send it here: nancyandsarai@gmail.com
Post it on Facebook, tag me, and then link to this blog {the-puddle-jumpers.blogspot.com}
Or post it on instagram using the tag #puddlejumpersiloveme

If you don't want it posted here on the blog, just simply tell me so. Otherwise, they're going up!

Here's mine:



Love, Sarai

PS:


No comments: